With three hangers in use for parties today (it’s one of our key revenue sources, a GREAT place for a wedding, birthday party, bar/bat mitzvah, quinceanera, retirement party, movie shoot – seriously, it’s the biggest venue in Ventura County) a lot of the planes were parked out on the ramp. It was a good time to go stand out among them and take a nice, wide panoramic view:
Most are CAF aircraft, some are owned by CAF SoCal members, some are AAF aircraft.
From left to right (more or less):
- T-34 Mentor (orange, black, and white)
- PT-19 Stearman (blue, yellow, red & white rudder, over by the corner of the hangar)
- PBJ (grey, the big bomber)
- A-2 Alon (white & red, in the foreground)
- L-29C (silver jet)
- A6M3 Zero (dark green with red dot, way off behind the L-29C)
- Spitfire (dark brown, behind the tail of the L-29C)
- C-46 Commando (Silver, huge cargo plane in the background)
- P-51 Mustang (silver, red nose)
- F-6F Hellcat (dark blue, big white star, in between the C-46 and P-51)
- UH-1 Iroquois (dark green helicopter with a red cross on the side)
- B-25 (dark green bomber facing away from us, a cousin to our PBJ)
- L-17 Navion (silver, in foreground)
- T-6 Texan (yellow, behind the Navion)
- C-47 Dakota (brown & khaki camouflage, behind the SNJ)
The majority of these aircraft are flying. The C-47 is being restored by the AAF, our C-46 hasn’t flown in a few years and would need some work to be airworthy again, and the UH-1 helicopter has actually been converted into to a fancy & stylish promotional beer wagon. The other twelve? All have flown recently, and at least four of these aircraft were flying today.
If you’re in the Southern California area, you should come out and visit us some time. Visit on a Saturday and I’ll probably be there, I would be glad to show you around.
Better yet, come out in three weeks for the Wings Over Camarillo airshow. Not only can you see all of these aircraft, you’ll see a ton more, with many of them (including just about anything we can put into the air) flying and performing aerobatics. Bring sunscreen, we’ll sell you the beer, soda, margaritas, other folks will sell you the food, it will be a great time!